PHP VS Python: which is best for web development solutions in 2020? – is the most baffling question that puts the businesses in great chaos. Today, the tech world is full of outstanding languages, in which PHP and Python become the two most popular and preferable server-side languages. Web development companies usually face the query of python vs PHP performance from their clients, so in this blog, we try to figure out which one is the best for your next app development project.
PHP or Python- Which one to choose?
PHP Vs Python performance is the current hot discussion going on in the developer’s community, which is highly beneficial for the intermediate developers or the start-ups who are planning to begin custom web app development. Both languages are highly famous in the web development world because of their functionalities and affordable prices.
Before comparing these two languages, let’s take a look at what they are and their pros and cons?
What is PHP?
PHP is the most popular scripting language, which is highly suitable for web development. Rasmus Lerdorf- a Canadian programmer, developed it in 1994. PHP is used for creating dynamic and interactive web pages. At first, it stands for Personal Home Page, but now it is known as Hypertext Preprocessor.
Developers highly prefer PHP as code developed in it can be easily linked with HTML. It supports many servers like Apache, Microsoft IIS, and Netscape. And it is highly compatible with OS like Linux, UNIX, MAC OS, and Windows.
Pros of PHP
- Free to use – PHP is an open-source language which means anyone can download it for free and use it to develop pages.
- Simple syntax – As compared to other languages, PHP is simple and easy to use.
- No compiler – Yes, PHP is an interpreted language which means there is no need for compilation.
- Platform – PHP is platform-independent, which means its code can run and be accessible on every platform like Linux, Mac OS, Windows, UNIX, and others.
- Speed – PHP is 3x faster as compared to other languages.
Cons of PHP
- Security – Due to the open-source framework, PHP security is quite low. Anyone can access the code and can find loopholes in it.
- Modeless – PHP code is hard to maintain; as a result, it makes it difficult and modeless.
What is Python?
Python is an interpreted general-purpose programming language. Guido Van Rossum developed it, and its first release was in 1991. It is used for scripting, web development and software development. It is a preferable choice of the developers as it offers immense features and functionalities. Python’s syntax is identical to the English language; hence developers get ease in coding. Currently, there are two versions available in Python: Python 2 and Python 3.
Pros of Python
- Best for Beginners – As compared to other languages, Python is easy to learn and code, which emerges as a better opportunity for any beginner. It is one of the best and friendly languages for intermediate developers.
- HLL – Python is a high-level language that offers an advantage to the developers. It consists of every small thing required at the time of development like; memory allocation, compilation, and others.
- Less code – As compared to other programming languages, Python does not require lengthy coding, its codes are less in size.
- OOP – One of the best features of Python is that it supports both procedure-oriented and project-oriented programming languages.
Cons of Python
- Speed – In terms of speed, Python is slower than the other programming languages.
- Mobile Development – Python is not up-to mark for mobile application development.
Now let’s discuss- Which is better for web development solutions in 2020?
Here we will see the PHP VS Python performance and decides which one is more suitable for you?
Ease of Installation
If your web development project is small in size, then you should go for PHP. Installation of PHP is highly convenient for mid-size or small-level projects. Along with that, it also offers excellent benefits and ease of run on several platforms including Windows, macOS, Linux and others. In PHP, developers find a variety of shared hosting sites which they can easily use at a reasonable price.
Whereas, Installation of Python is difficult for you. If you are working on a macOS, then there is already a Python version installed in your device. But it is of no use, it is outdated and does not support your application development. You are required to install a new version of Python for successful app development. Moreover, Python takes a bit more time to install on Windows.
Here, PHP wins…
If we compare python vs PHP performance in Library Management, Python wins over PHP, because it uses PIP which means “Pip Installs Python”. It is used to maintain the packages. If you are developing a Python application, then the PIP supports the multiple libraries in that app. It makes the application fast and simple.
Library Management is not as robust as compared to Python. Recently it has introduced a PHP 7 version which consists of vital tools that are similar to Python’s. But it does not have a wide range of mature packages, and its installation is hard in it.
Here, Python wins…
Easy to Learn
Both the languages are almost similar as they are interpreted and object-oriented. But if we specifically evaluate the python vs PHP performance in terms of learning then- Python is a language which can be learned by the intermediate developers or beginners. But Python’s syntax is dissimilar as compared to other programming languages. The problem with Python is that it contains a variety of tools but which one to choose for a specific requirement is hard to find.
Whereas, PHP is a language that consists of an excellent array. If you have a good knowledge of these arrays, then PHP is highly beneficial for you. Another benefit of PHP is that it is an old language which means there are numerous tutorials and guides available in the market, that helps you to learn it.
Here, both are winners…
When you are creating a new application, you need to know its positive aspects and flaws as well. For such requirements, debugging helps you to find out where it went wrong. If we talk about the python vs PHP performance in debugging then-
Both languages have essential features; in Python, there is a debug button available by which developers can start finding bugs in the applications. Visual Studio Corner is one of the significant debuggers in Python.
But in PHP, it is not as simple as it looks. Sometimes in PHP, debugging steps require additional set-up. But that doesn’t mean it is difficult to run the debugger in PHP. Anyone can do that; it is highly accessible and easy-to-use.
Here, both wins…
Honestly, it is hard to interpret between python vs PHP performance- which one is best, but without any doubt, Python gives a tough challenge to PHP. Though PHP is an old-language, Python also contains all the critical features that start a competition among them. Hence, it doesn’t matter what to choose; both languages are highly competent and compatible in their operations. Whatever you select, you will surely get the best application. So, all the best for your new project!!